How to Get Rid of Wrinkles
Category :Skin Care
What are wrinkles?
Wrinkles are folds, creases or ridges that appear with age and are most commonly found around mouth, eyes, nose and neck.
What causes wrinkles?
They form due to various factors like exposure to sun, smoking, poor hydration, genetics, habitual facial expression, and loss of body mass. Although it is an integral part of aging, it can be controlled and prevented using various methods.
Home remedies to get rid of wrinkles naturally
- Milk and honey cleanser: Mix 1 tsp raw organic sugar with 2tbsp of lemon juice and massage gently over your skin. Wash it off after about 10 minutes.
- Egg white mask: One of the fastest and best homemade wrinkle solutions, it helps to temporarily tighten the skin due to the astringent properties of egg whites. Beat two egg whites together until peaks form. Apply this mixture to the face before washing it off after 20 minutes with cool water.
- Lemon balm rinse: Steep a handful of lemon balm leaves in approximately 500 ml (2 cups) of boiling water. Let it cool and use it as a facial rinse every morning.
- Aloe vera gel: Applying aloe vera gel hydrates and rejuvenates the skin making it more supple and flexible.
- Coconut Oil: The antibacterial, antifungal and antioxidant properties of this vitamin-rich oil protect the skin against various external causative factors of wrinkles, keeping the skin young and supple.
- Orange juice: Dip a cotton swab in freshly squeezed orange juice and apply it carefully around the eyes. Applying it twice daily will lead to a noticeable reduction in wrinkle lines.
- Cucumber: Apply some cucumber juice on your forehead, lips and eyes and wash it off after about 10 minutes. Cucumber helps in reducing wrinkles and puffiness around your eyes.
- Papaya: Massaging your face and neck with ripe papaya helps to treat wrinkles naturally and brighten your skin.
- Petroleum Jelly or Vaseline: Applying petroleum jelly around your eyes hydrates the skin keeping wrinkles at bay.
- Oil remedies: Essential oils and other fats like grape seed oil, castor oil and olive oil yield excellent result in smoothening out wrinkles and moisturizing your skin. Massage your skin with any of these oils to see remarkable improvement in your skin.
How to prevent wrinkles
Wrinkles, although inevitable, can be delayed by adopting a healthy lifestyle and avoiding stress at all cost.
- Avoid smoking: Smoking dries out your skin making it dull and more prone to wrinkles.
- Limit sun exposure: Harmful UVA rays can penetrate your skin and damage the collagen which in turn makes your skin look old and full of wrinkles. Always wear sunscreen when you go out.
- Drink water: Keeping your body hydrated is the first step towards a healthy skin. Apart from keeping your skin moisturized and hydrated, water helps in flushing out toxins out of your system. Drink at least 8 glasses of water daily to keep your body hydrated.
- Avoid repetitive facial expressions: Repetitive facial movements like laughing, frowning or squinting create deep lines on your face, making wrinkles much more prominent.
- Exercise daily: Getting regular exercise helps in treating wrinkles, and it boosts up the blood circulation thus helping you achieve a naturally glowing, younger-looking skin.
- Anti–wrinkle pillow: Since wrinkles are also caused by habitual sleeping position, getting an anti-wrinkle pillow might be beneficial. Anti-wrinkle pillows in satin pillow cases are popular in the market for combating wrinkles.
- Anti-wrinkle serums: Available at beauty and cosmetic stores, these facial/eye serums help to keep signs of aging, such as wrinkles and dark spots at bay.
Dietary Tips for wrinkle-free skin
A balanced diet is the key to make your skin look healthy and fresh. You can possess a healthier and younger looking skin if you follow these dietary habits.
- Fish: Increasing the intake of fish rich with omega-3 fatty acids like salmon will help in nourishing the skin and keeping it plump and youthful.
- Soy: Consumption of soy products is shown to have yielded results by improving skin’s structure and firmness.
- Flaxseed: Flaxseed helps in retaining the youthfulness of the skin as it is rich in omega 3 fatty acids.
- Apples: Daily consumption of apples erases fine lines from the skin and delays aging or premature aging.
- Fruits and vegetables: Consumption of fruits and vegetables rich in minerals and antioxidants like pomegranates, blueberry, gooseberry, etc can make the skin look young.
- Nuts: Nuts are excellent sources of minerals and beneficial fats. Walnuts and Brazil nuts help in nourishing the body as well as the skin.
- Cocoa: Replacing coffee with cocoa has given substantial results in reducing wrinkles researchers say. Cocoa has high levels of two dietary flavonols which protects the skin from sun damage, affects hydration and making the skin smooth.
- Skin-care creams with AHAs: Alpha Hydroxy acids (AHAs) are natural fruit acids that help to remove the top layer of dead skin cells, reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, particularly around the eyes. Thus, products containing AHAs like Neutrogena, Olay are recommended to get wrinkle-free skin.
- Over-the-counter Retinoid creams: Non-prescription creams containing Retinol, a natural form of Vitamin A, have been proven to successfully fight wrinkles. Prescription Retin-A creams help in removing stubborn wrinkles.
- Specialized under-eye creams for wrinkles: Since the skin around the eye is the thinnest, keeping it properly hydrated and moisturized is essential for preventing wrinkles. Anti-wrinkle under-eye creams help with the purpose taking off years from your face.
Topical ointments containing Vitamin C, Idebenone and Pentapeptides minimize sun-damage and signs of aging, protecting from wrinkles. Wrinkle removal creams are often the best way to get rid of wrinkles without surgery.
Medical treatment to get rid of wrinkles
- Dermabrasion: A vacuum suction device is used along with a mild chemical crystal to remove the top skin layer and bring out a smoother and evenly textured skin, reducing fine lines and wrinkles.
- Botox: Botox is an injection that relaxes the muscles, thus removing signs of aging. It is mainly used for smoothening forehead lines, crow’s feet (wrinkles around the eye), frown lines and wrinkles around the lips.
- Wrinkle-fillers: Cosmetic surgeons fill wrinkles with a variety of substance like collagen, hyaluronic acid and other synthetic compound. You can opt for this method after a thorough consultation with your doctor.
- Laser resurfacing: In this method, laser beams are used for removing the top layer of the skin. This kicks up the natural collagen production of the skin into high gear, resulting into a younger and wrinkle-free skin.
Consult a dermatologist or a cosmetic surgeon before opting for any of these methods as these might have serious side-effects.