How to Get Rid of Whiteheads
What are whiteheads?
Whiteheads are acnes resulting from skin pore clogging due to excess sebum secretion, dirt and dead skin cells. These small, white bumps often appear on the oily patches of the skin like forehead, nose and chin; and also other regions like eyelids, mouth, eyebrows, cheeks, arms, back and legs. Maintaining a proper skincare regimen and hygiene is the best way to fight whiteheads.
Home remedies for getting rid of whiteheads:
- Hot compress: Soak a washcloth in warm water, wring out the excess water and press it on the whiteheads. The warm washcloth opens up the pores of the skin thus removing the sebum and bacteria accumulated in the skin pore.
- Splashing your face with cold water: Splashing cool water on your face helps in constricting the pores of your skin. This will help decreasing the chance of sebum oil or bacteria getting trapped into the skin pores.
- Toothpaste: Apply a small amount of toothpaste on the infected area; let it sit for 15 minutes. Your skin might burn a little due to the menthol, but it is normal and will pass. Once the toothpaste is washed off, the covering of the whitehead will disappear; the skin needs to be washed thoroughly after that to remove any residual build-up of oil and dirt.
- Steaming: Exposing the whiteheads to steam will help in unclogging the pores which helps in removing the oil and dirt build-up. It is a useful way of treating deep-set whiteheads.
- Baking soda: Make a paste using baking soda and water and gently rub it on your skin. Let it sit for 15 minutes before washing it off with water.
How to remove whiteheads fast naturally:
- Aloe vera: Using aloe vera gel on the whitehead will help in reducing the inflammation and the irritation of the skin, speeding up the healing process.
- Potatoes: Apply grated raw potatoes on the affected area and then let it dry. Wash off the area thoroughly after 15 minutes.
- Oatmeal or Almond: Mix oatmeal or almond powder with rosewater to make a paste. Apply the mixture on the affected area; let it set for 15 minutes then wash off the area with cold water.
- Honey: Apply honey on the affected area; wash it off after 15 minutes.
- Lemon: Wash your face with warm water, apply the mixture of lemon juice and salt on the whitehead. Leave the mixture on for about 20 minutes before washing it off again with luke warm water.
- Tomato: Apply tomato pulp on the whitehead and leave it overnight. Wash it off in the morning with warm water.
- Rice: Soak rice in milk for about 5 hours and grind it to a paste. Use the paste as a scrub on the affected areas.
- Sugar – lemon scrub: Grind some sugar and add few lemon drops to it. Scrub gently using this mixture.
- Egg: Apply the egg white to the skin and wash it off with warm water after it dries. The omega 2 – fatty acids in egg cleanses the impurities from the skin.
- Cucumber: Apply grated cucumber on your skin and let it sit for about 1 hour, washing it off gently with warm water. This method helps in rejuvenating the skin and drying out the whiteheads, preventing further outbreaks.
- Cinnamon, Lemon, Baking soda: Mix 1 tbsp baking soda, ½ tbsp cinnamon powder, 1 tbsp lemon juice and a little water. Apply the mixture over your face and neck. Let it dry before washing it off. Use this mask twice a week.
- Tea-tree oil: Applying tea-tree oil to the affected area helps to reduce the problem.
How to treat whiteheads with medical products
Like pimples, pricking, popping or touching the whiteheads with dirty hands might lead to infection.
- Benzoyl Peroxide: Products containing Benzoyl Peroxide helps in getting rid of whiteheads as it has an antibacterial property. It can be used for mild cases or to prevent formation of further whiteheads.
- Tretinoin: Derived from Vitamin A, Tretinoin helps to expel the impurities from the pores.
- Antibiotics: In severe cases, topical or oral antibiotics might be used.
- Whitehead Extractor: It is a small, circular metal acne removal tool, when centered on the whitehead presses the surrounding skin, to expel the plug of dirt and oil.
- Salicylic cream: Wash your face with a gentle cleanser and warm water. Apply a small amount of salicylic cream to the whiteheads with clean fingers and let it sit for five minutes. To avoid skin irritation, salicylic cream should not be used more than twice a day.
Consulting a doctor or a dermatologist is recommended as these medications or products might have side-effects.
Other tips to prevent and remove whiteheads
- Drink plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated.
- Avoid drinking alcohol and smoking as it dehydrates the skin making it difficult to remove the whiteheads.
- Exercising daily for 15-20 minutes will help improving blood-circulation, keeping the oil secretion under control.
- Avoid using oil-based make-up, moisturizer and sunscreen on the affected areas.