How to Get Rid of Facial Hair
Category :Skin Care
A moderate amount of facial hair is normal for everybody; however, excess facial hair in a woman can be quite embarrassing. But, the problem might be deeper than a few moments’ humiliation. Facial hair might appear on the chin, upper lips, forehead and on the cheeks. Underlying causes may include hormonal changes (due to menopause or other health reasons), polycystic ovaries (PCOs), hormone-secreting tumor and heredity. The problem may also appear as a side effect of hair-fall medications like rogaine (Loniten) and medical procedures like chemotherapy.
Natural home remedies to remove facial hair
- Lemon and Sugar: Mix 1 spoon of sugar with fresh lemon juice, apply on your face and leave it for 15-20 minutes before washing it off with cold water. Apply this mixture at least 3 times a week. This is one of the best natural remedies for facial hair removal and is safe to use during pregnancy.
- Milk and Turmeric: Make a thick paste with chickpea flour, turmeric powder and milk. Apply a thin layer of the mixture to your face scrubbing it gently in a circular motion. Let it dry for 20 minutes and then wash it off with cold water. This is an ayurvedic remedy effective in removing blonde as well as darker hair.
- Lemon juice and Gram flour: Mix some lemon juice and gram flour, apply this mixture to your face leaving it on for 15 minutes. Then scrub the area gently in the direction of hair growth to remove unwanted facial hair.
- Egg, sugar and corn flour: Beat in together one egg white, ½ tbsp of corn flour and 1 tbsp of sugar to form a paste and apply it on the face. When it dries, it will form a mask which can be pulled off along with the unwanted hair.
- Lemon juice and honey: Mix together 1 part of lemon juice with 4 parts of honey. Use a cotton ball to apply the mixture in the affected area for about 15 minutes before washing it off with luke warm water.
- Sugar wax: Mix together lemon, sugar and honey in a bowl and heat it up until it has a smooth consistency. Apply it to the affected area and let it cool for a few seconds, place a piece of cloth on the home-made wax, let it sit for about 30 seconds and then pull it off.
- Yoghurt, gram flour and milk cream scrub: Mix together all three ingredients to form a paste and use it as a scrub, twice or thrice a week to see significant improvement.
Tools and methods to get rid of facial hair
The following procedures can be performed at home or you can go to a parlor for professional help.
- Tweezing: Using tweezers to pluck out the unwanted hair is a good option, but is a little time-consuming.
- Spring facial hair remover: Nowadays, many women prefer spring epilators for facial hair removal as it is cheap, easy and can be conveniently done at home. This spring like device plucks the hair from the root, leaving the area smooth. It is an easy and helpful method but might be a little painful.
- Waxing: You can get spreadable wax kits or ready-made strips that are available in different stores and follow the instructions written on the packet to get results. It is one of the fastest ways to deal with the problem without using threads tweezers or laser.
- Laser: Nowadays many ladies opt for laser hair removal kits as they are easily available in the market and provide significant results. In this method, laser goes down to the root of the hair and destroys it, discouraging further hair growth.
- Threading: In this process, the excess hair is removed using a thread.
- Shaving: Many women go for shaving off the facial hair as it is relatively painless and can be done easily at home. But, this is highly discouraged as it can thicken the hair growth and lead to ingrown hair.
Although many girls use duct tape for removing facial hair at home, this technique is highly discouraged and should not be used.
Precautions to take before getting rid of facial hair
The following measures should be taken before using the above procedures, to stop further problems like skin irritation, ingrown hair and razor bumps:
- Using a gentle exfoliating scrub before hair removal helps to slough away the dead skin cells diminishing the chances of further problems
- Placing a warm towel over your face for 5 minutes to soften the hair follicles
- Applying creams containing salicylic or glycolic acid immediately after hair removal to prevent dead skin cells or bacteria from clogging up the hair follicle
- Washing the area twice a day with a Panoxyl bar, an antibacterial soap with 10% benzoyl peroxide
Facial hair removal creams for women
- Depilatory creams: Apply a small amount of depilatory cream on the area, wait for a few seconds before wiping it off with a cloth and washing your face. Depilatory creams for sensitive skin works best as they do not contain harsh chemicals often present in other creams.
- Cream bleach: Apply the bleach to the affected area with an applicator, keep it on for the time mentioned on the package before wiping it off along with the unwanted hair. Performing spot-test before application is recommended to avoid any skin allergies or infection.
- Medicated creams: Topical creams such as eflornithine are sometimes prescribed to slow down the hair growth.
Lifestyle and dietary tips to slow down facial hair growth
The problem of facial hair is directly related to the problem of hormonal imbalance. Excess growth of facial hair in women occurs when there is a surplus production of androgen (male hormones). Since the problem of hormonal imbalance is directly related to poor lifestyle and dietary habits, making a few changes would yield considerable results in a few months, diminishing facial hair growth, gradually getting rid of the problem for good without lasers, waxing or shaving.
- Include food items such as flaxseeds, licorice and fennel in your diet as these have a compound called phytoestrogen which mimics the role of estrogen when there is a shortage of the hormone production.
- Avoid consuming sugar and other refined carbohydrates such as white rice, breads and crackers.
- Stress is directly linked with hormonal imbalance in women. So, meditation, yoga and other relaxation techniques can help in this respect.
- Losing weight helps a great deal to curb this problem as excess fat often stimulates more androgen production thus leading to growth of facial hair.
- Consuming spearmint tea can help to bring down high levels of testosterone hormone in a woman. Steep 1 teaspoon of dried spearmint in 1 cup of boiling water for a few minutes, strain the tea and drink it twice daily.
Permanent facial hair removal
Electrolysis is the best way to permanently remove facial hair. It uses a tiny needle that destroys the hair follicle, thus stopping further hair growth in that area. There are two types of electrolysis – galvanic, which removes the hair chemically and thermolytic, which uses heat to destroy the hair follicle. You should always consult your doctor before opting for this method.