How To Get Rid Of Pink Eye
Conjunctivitis or pink eye is a common viral or bacterial infection that affects the eye, making it difficult to carry on with your day to day routine. The contagious condition goes away on its own without any treatment or medication; however, it takes around 10 days to attain full recovery so you could go back to your work or studies. Now, it is often impossible to wait that long for the infection to clear up. So, this article discusses the best ways to get rid of pink eye overnight.
Ways to Get Rid of Pink Eye Fast at Home
The first thing you need to know is that it is necessary to keep your eyes clean during this infection. Wiping your eyes regularly with a cotton ball soaked in lukewarm sterile water helps with this purpose. Make sure to throw the cotton balls in the garbage after wiping your eyes as leaving them lying around can spread the infection further. It is also essential to wash your hands properly after touching your eyes to prevent pink eye from spreading. Wearing contact lenses or touching your eyes is not recommended during this time. Wear your glasses until the infection goes away completely. Here are some effective home remedies that can help you to get rid of pink eye in one day:
- Soak a chamomile tea bag in warm water (you can simply make a cup of chamomile tea) and wait till the tea bag cools down. Then place the tea bag on the eyes for ten minutes. You can repeat the procedure a few times in a day. Another option is soaking your eyes in a cup of cold or lukewarm chamomile tea.
- You can also make an eyebright tincture at home for getting rid of pink eye. For the tincture, mix 5 drops of eyebright hers in one cup of cooled boiled water. Now, take a cotton ball and dab the tincture on your eyes.
- Add some honey to a cup of lukewarm sterile water and apply the mixture directly on your eye. This is a natural antiseptic remedy that helps you get rid of pink eye fast. You may feel a stinging sensation in your eyes when you apply this mixture, but it is completely normal and goes away after some time.
- According to some people, applying a piece of bread soaked in milk to the infected eyes is one of the fastest ways for getting rid of pink eye. Take a piece of white bread and put some milk on it for dampening it. Next, place it on the affected eye and wrap the eye with gauze to keep the bread piece in place. It is recommended to apply the bread before bedtime so that you can keep it on all night. Remove the gauze and the bread next morning and your pink eye should be cured.
- Cold or warm compress (whichever feels more soothing) can help to reduce the irritation in the eyes. You can repeat the procedure 3 to 4 times a day.
- Rubbing some aloe vera juice across the eyelids is another effective home remedy for getting rid of pink eye.
Medical Treatment for Getting Rid of Pink Eye
Sometimes, the infection refuses to go away even after using all the above home remedies. In these cases, seeking immediate medical attention is recommended. There are various antiviral and antibacterial medications that can help you to get rid of a pink eye.
- If your pink eye is caused by an allergy, your ophthalmologist may recommend using topical eye drops that contain antihistamines as this keeps your eyes from getting affected by the common allergens like dust, pet dander and pollen. These eye drops can be availed in both prescription and over-the counter formulas.
- Special medical treatment is required for curing allergic pink eye. There are allergy medications that can reduce the severity of the symptoms or even prevent the infection. If you have some kind of allergy that is likely to cause conjunctivitis, it is recommended for you to start taking allergy medicines prior to the allergy season.
- In stubborn cases of bacterial conjunctivitis, your doctor may prescribe antibiotic ointments and eye drops especially manufactured for treating this type of infection.
These are the commonly used and most effective treatment options for pink eye. In the majority of cases, the infection goes away with the home remedies. So if you have pink eye, all you need to do is keep your eyes clean and follow the remedies mentioned above, and your infection will go away in no time.