How to Get Rid of Chest Acne
Category :Skin Care
What is Chest Acne?
Chest acne is a common skin problem initiated by clogging of skin pores with sebum, dead skin cells, excessive sweat & oil secreted by a large number of sebaceous glands present in the chest. All these factors contribute bacteria accumulation on the chest which causes chest acne.
Signs & Symptoms of Chest Acne
Chest acne occurs in the form of tiny dark spots which in turn are characterized by redness, heat, inflammation, itching, pus & pain. A person having chest acne/pimples often experiences the following symptoms:
7. Ugly Scars
Causes of Chest Acne
1. Hormonal imbalance is the principal cause of an acne outbreak. Hyper secretion of androgen hormone stimulates the sebaceous glands which triggers overproduction of sebum thereby increasing the inflammation of hair follicles. Both sexes are equally affected by this problem in puberty stage. Pregnancy increases the incidence rate of chest acne in women.
2. Oily skin texture
3. Stress & anxiety
4. High intake of fatty dairy products
5. Tight clothing that contributes to perspiration
6. Improper hygienic conditions like using dirty bed sheet/linen & having dirty hands
Fast Chest Acne Treatment Options
Home Remedies for Chest Acne
There are numerous effective ways of getting rid of acne on the chest; however, none of these can remove the acne overnight. You need to be patient in order to get positive results. Following are some of the well known home remedies:-
Healthy Diet Therapy
Adopt a healthy diet plan rich in nutritious foods like fresh vegetables, fruits & salads. Lay emphasis on lean proteins like poultry breast or soy along with the whole grains like oatmeal. Increase the intake of antioxidants rich food like dark chocolate. It is recommended to have 5-9 servings of healthy leafy green vegetables every day.
To reduce skin inflammation of chest acne, include walnuts & healthy fats like Omega-3S (in raw form) in your diet plan. Foods rich in Omega-3S include spinach, arugula, flaxseed, salmon and sardines.
Avoid high intake of dairy products because the cow hormones in these items can stimulate your sebaceous glands & skin pores. Skimmed milk is beneficial for the skin. Taking 1 glass of orange juice every day at breakfast can also help to get glowing skin with reduced acne episodes.
Easiest home remedy against chest acne involves drinking plenty of water (8-10 glasses per day). It is beneficial to have 4 glasses of water early morning. This will keep your skin hydrated which in turn maintains the detoxification level of skin pores by removing the deadly toxins, thus washing chest acne.
Avoid sweet sugary drinks like juices, sodas & shakes as sugar raises the acne outbreaks by increasing the insulin level of the body which in turn releases certain hormones responsible for causing acne.
Prefer intake of green tea as it is rich in antioxidants which fight against free radicals responsible for skin ageing, thus maintaining a healthy skin & curbs chest acne.
Cinnamon Powder and Lemon Juice
This common home remedy for chest acne involves the application of cinnamon powder & lemon juice.
Things needed: cinnamon powder (1 tablespoon) & freshly squeezed lemon juice (3 tablespoons). Mix these two properly in a bowl & apply this mixture evenly over the affected chest acne region by using a brush or clean fingertips. Allow it to dry for about 2 hours. Now, rinse it off with cold water. Use this mixture on a regular basis to see some good results.
Radish Seeds, Honey and Milk
A mixture of radish seeds, honey and milk is one of the most effective home remedy for chest acne as well as blackheads.
Things needed: radish seeds, honey & milk all in equal proportions (1 tablespoon)
Blend all these together to make a smooth paste. Apply a thick layer of this paste onto the affected skin area & leave it as such for 2 hours. Then rinse it off in cold water. Do apply an oil free moisturizer. You can keep this mixture in an air tight container in the refrigerator for about 5 days & this can be re-applied on a daily basis.
Take an avocado and scoop out the pulp in a bowl; make a paste of it and spread it on your acne region. Allow it to dry for about 5-10 minutes and then rinse it off in the shower. Positive results become visible within a short time.
Lemon Juice, Garlic, Honey and Yogurt
Mix lemon juice, yogurt, garlic & honey (2 teaspoons each) together and apply this paste on the affected chest acne region. Leave it on for 30 minutes & then wash it off with normal water. Repeat this process for up to 2 weeks. This will quickly cure chest acne.
Mild Chest Acne Treatment with Chest Acne Products
Certain chest acne relieving products can be used in treating mild acne, which is characterized as temporary single or clusters of pimples.
Anti Acne Soap
Use an anti-bacterial soap that fights Acne; clean your chest region with the soap at least twice a day. Avoid over-wash, as this can irritate your skin and make it dry. Anti acne soap must include ingredients like cucumber, salicylic acid & azulene which deplete the excessive oily secretion of skin by making skin dry, hence reducing acne. Taking a shower is recommended after any activity that causes excessive perspiration as sweat can further clog the skin pores, which exacerbates acne episodes. Take shower every day to keep skin healthy & hygienic.
Anti Acne Scrubber/ Sponge
Take a loofah scrubbing sponge or Neutrogena body clear body wash for sponging the chest acne region. Always use a gentle scrubbing technique to remove dead skin cells. Do not scrub too roughly or else you will increase acne irritation, inflammation & deplete your skin natural oil.
Medicated Creams/ Antibiotic Lotion
Such creams involve ingredients like tetracycline, erythromycin or clindamycin. These are antibiotic agents that kill bacteria, reduce inflammation & remove acne.
Dampen the chest region with a benzoyl peroxide-rich face wash as this helps to reduce acne by drying out the skin. This remedy should be used once every week. Regular usage of an oil free moisturizer like Clean & Clear Dual Action / Biore Shine Control Moisturizer helps to avoid excessive dryness.
Topical Zit Zapper
These are available in the form of cream whose main ingredient includes salicylic acid in the concentration of 2.5%. Spread it evenly over the chest acne region. This sheds acne by drying them off & heals the spots quickly.
Other Chest Acne Remedies
Exercise / yoga Therapy
Exercise & yoga therapy reduces acne outbreaks. Try to adapt a regular exercise / yoga routine in your lifestyle as this reduces stress level, increases blood circulation & maintains skin elasticity, which combats acne outbreak. Remember to have a shower or cleanse the excessive sweat region after each workout as sweat might clog skin pores.
Adoption of Cotton & Linen Clothing
Always wear cotton or linen fabric dresses rather than synthetic one. These fabrics allow maximum air in and out so perspiration on chest could escape out easily without causing bacteria/ sweat/ sebum accumulation on the chest. This helps to avoid clogging of the skin pores and provides healthy skin by preventing chest acne.
Use of Niacinamide pads
Niacinamide pads are also known as Vitamin B3 pads. They work as a therapy for removing whole body acne. Niacinamide face cleansing pads are an effective and easy means of preventing chest acne. Apply a pad on the affected acne region to get rid of them. Niacinamide plays an effective role in reducing skin-hyper pigmentation (acne scars) Try them out for quick successful results of acne reduction.
Use of Topical Vitamin A Derivatives
They are available as cream, gel & lotion. They remove blackheads & reduce oily skin texture.
Anti Acne Mask Applicator
Mud or Charcoal Mask : Rub your chest acne region with this mask & then rinse it off with cold water. Repeat it twice a week. Your skin gets clean & wipes off the clogged pores.
Mandelic Acid Mask : It is applied 10-15 minutes before taking shower & then one can rinse it off using a good anti acne face wash.
Treatment for severe Chest Acne Scar
Oral Antibiotic Therapy
Always consult a dermatologist before taking antibiotics. Antibiotics that cure chest acne include Tetracycline, Erythromycin, Minocycline & Trimethoprim. These medications are not continued for more than 6 months.
Women can use the oral contraceptive pill “Dianette”, which involves Oestrogen hormone that fights chest acne & the drug Cyproterone Acetate that reduces Testosterone levels. These are generally used for the duration of 6 months.
Retinoid Acid Cream Application
It is a derivative acid of Vitamin A & is available by the name Tretinoin or Topical Isotretinoin. It softens the skin & clears black heads.
The main ingredient in Ketsugo Cream is ‘Isolutrol’, a compound with antimicrobial properties. It is an enzyme extracted from the skin tissues of deep sea sharks.
Glycolic Acid Peel
It is an acidic face mask that peels off the top layers of dead skin. It usually costs $270/ 6 treatment sessions.
It is an expensive method that costs around $100/session. The technique involves abrasion of the top skin layers with a machine which removes ugly and deep seated scars.
Bioskinals (Laser Therapy)
This cold therapy helps in deep acne scar removal by increasing blood circulation to the affected region, hence improving skin texture.
Herbal/Ayurvedic Treatment of Chest Acne:
- Neem possesses antiseptic & antibiotic properties. Apply neem and black cohosh to the affected region of the chest. The healing power of neem reduces the acne episodes.
- Apply a paste of masur dal (lentil) with yogurt and a few drops of neem oil on the chest acne as it can heal up the acne, improving the skin complexion.
- Make use of herbal face packs that include components like jatiphal, vacha, sariva, neem, fenugreek, besan atta, turmeric, rose water, etc. Apply this on acne areas & leave these face packs for 30-45 minutes. Successful results become visible within a few weeks.
- Make a good anti acne face pack containing herbs like maricha and gorochana or ashwagandha, chandana, manjishta and yashtimadhu along with water. Apply it on acne areas; it serves as a quick acne reliever.
- Sheeta and madhur properties of leech (jalauka)
- Turmeric pills are another natural way of keeping acne at bay. Take these pills once a day. They fight against the free radicals responsible for the aging process and help to maintain the glow of your skin. Taking these pills regularly also improves the immune system thereby reducing chest acne. You can see positive results within a month.
- Consuming a mixture of herbal ingredients like cumin, coriander and turmeric in a powder form can cure acne by increasing the blood flow & improving digestion.
- Coconut oil is a perfect natural way to curb chest acne. Use it as your chest moisturizer. Moisturize the affected chest acne region with the organic unrefined extra virgin coconut oil. It removes any scar, redness, dryness as well as rash resulting from acne and also reduces acne inflammation. The oil imparts a natural skin glow while preventing clogging of skin pores.