How To Get Rid Of A Stomach Ache
Stomach ache is a common problem, occurring due to various reasons. It is really difficult to get on with your day if you have an annoying nagging pain in your stomach. A stomach ache may occur from certain food you ate or due to some minor health problems. However, it may also be an early symptom of some serious health condition. Whatever the reason may be, there are numerous ways to get rid of a stomach ache. This article discusses some of the best remedies for this problem.
Ways to Get Rid of a Stomach Ache
Here are some of the most common and effective solutions for stomach pain:
- Lie Down: Lying flat on your bed with a fluffy pillow under the feet can help to alleviate a bad stomach ache. Make sure to place the pillow in a manner that your feet stay higher than the level of your head. Closing your eyes while trying to relax helps to get quick relief.
- Stop Eating: Do not eat for a few hours as stomach ache often occurs when you eat too much. Not eating for some time allows your stomach to relax, making the stomach ache to go away.
- Cure Constipation: Constipation often leads to mild to severe stomach which can be cured only by treating the constipation. Increasing your fiber intake, doing regular exercise and drinking plenty of water are some of the best remedies for constipation. You can also take some laxative if the earlier mentioned remedies are ineffective.
- Get Lots of Rest: Getting some sleep is one of the fastest ways to get rid of a stomach ache. Lie down and get some rest if you cannot sleep. Resting is especially necessary if your stomach ache is accompanied by other symptoms like vomiting and diarrhea.
- Apply A Heating Pad: Put a hot water bag or heating pad over your abdomen to relax the muscles and relieve the pain. Taking a warm bath also works for this purpose.
- Do Stretching Exercise: This is an unusual remedy for a stomach ache; but, stretching the muscles for a minute can relieve the pain and make you feel much better.
- Over-the-Counter Medicines: Sometimes, a stomach ache can result from gas or bloating. In such cases, an over-the-counter gas medicine can effectively alleviate the pain.
Dietary Measures for to Cure f Stomach Aches
The following dietary measures can be beneficial for curing pain in the stomach:
- Drink Water: Taking small sips of cold water or sucking on ice cubes is another effective remedy for stomach aches. However, the effectiveness of this remedy depends on the underlying cause of the condition. You should stop drinking at once if you feel that it is worsening the pain
- Avoid Eating Dairy Products: Stomach pain is often caused by conditions like lactose intolerance and Irritable Bowel Syndrome. In such cases, the pain can intensify if you eat dairy products like milk and cheese. Keeping a food journal will help you find out if your stomach ache is caused from consuming such food items.
- Avoid Certain Vegetables: Avoid eating vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli and beans in case you are feeling bloated or cramped. It is also advisable to skip salt as can worsen the stomach ache by making you retain water.
Other Home Remedies for Stomach Ache
Following are some home remedies that can relieve a stomach ache within a short time:
- Herbal Tea: Drink some herbal tea made with peppermint extract as peppermint helps with digestion by calming your stomach muscles. However, this remedy should not be used if you are allergic to peppermint as it may worsen the pain.
- Use Ginger: According to some studies, ginger can reduce stomach ache resulting from nausea. Add some ground fresh ginger, along with honey, to a cup of hot water to prepare ginger tea. Slowly drinking this tea can alleviate the problem. Ginger capsules are also available in the market as a remedy for stomach ache and other ailments.
- Eat Yoghurt: Eating yoghurt is another effective remedy as the bacteria in yoghurt can relieve stomach ache. Sometimes, stomach ache results from the lack of certain bacteria, which is also present in yoghurt. So, eating yoghurt can fulfill this requirement and drive the pain away. However, this remedy should never be used if the stomach pain is resulting from lactose intolerance or other similar health problems.
- Soda and Lime Sherbet: Add some lime sherbet to a glass of soda and drink it slowly. It is a tasty and effective remedy for moderate stomach aches.
- Drink Some Vinegar: According to some people, drinking one teaspoonful of vinegar is an effective way to get rid of this problem; however, there is a lack of medical evidence for the efficacy of this remedy.
- Drink Cinnamon Tea: Add one and a half teaspoons of cinnamon (ground) into one cup of warm water, letting it seep for a few minutes. Then drink it slowly like tea.
- Take Lemon as a Remedy: Take some water in a glass, squeeze a couple of lemons in it followed by some sugar and some baking powder; then drink this mixture while it is foaming. This is an excellent remedy for mild stomach aches.
- Eat: The underlying cause behind a stomach ache may be the fact that you are extremely hungry without realizing it. So, eating something like bread can help you to get rid of it quickly. However, it is not advisable to eat items like cake, candy and cookies as they may worsen the pain.
It is advisable to consult a doctor if your stomach pain refuses to go away even after trying all the above treatment options as it may be indicating some serious underlying health condition.