How To Get Rid Of A Cold Fast
Suffering from a long cold is extremely annoying, but taking medicines makes you more prone to colds by diminishing your immune system. So, there is no choice but to endure the symptoms of coughing, runny nose, headache and sore throat for a couple of weeks, which is the average duration of common cold. But, what if there were some home remedies that could help you to get rid of a head cold quickly? This article discusses some effective treatment methods that can cure cold fast and prevent it from coming back anytime soon.
Home Remedies for Getting Rid of Cold Quickly
Certain foods are known to be extremely beneficial for treating the symptoms of common cold.
- Chicken Soup: The warm broth of chicken soup helps to loosen the mucus congesting your head, nose and throat. The anti-inflammatory properties of the soup also soothe the symptom of sore throat by fighting the germs causing the cold. Both the store-bought and homemade chicken soups are known to be equally effective in fighting cold.
- Honey and Lemon: Add some honey and lemon juice to a glassful of water. Then drink it slowly while inhaling the steam for loosening the congested nose and soothing the sore throat. Lemon and honey also loosen the congestion from your chest and head. Sucking on lemon and honey cough drops can also relieve these symptoms of cold.
- Herbal Tea: It is regarded as one of the most effective traditional herbal remedy for cough and cold. Make a herbal tea using cold-fighting herbs like catnip, ginger, astragalus, echinacea, lemon balm etc and drink it as often as you want. Soak 1 teaspoon of the herb mixture in a cup of boiled water for around 10-15 minutes to make the tea. Chamomile tea is another well known remedy for cold and cough.
- Fresh Garlic: The antibiotic properties of garlic can help to relieve the common cold symptoms. Sniffing cloves of garlic can temporarily clear out the nasal congestion caused by cold. Another way to use fresh garlic for the treatment is adding it to foods such as pasta and bread as this reduces the severity of the symptoms while also loosening the nasal congestion.
- Gargling with Salt Water: Add some salt to a glass of warm water and gargle with it to relieve sore throat. Repeat at least 3 to 4 times a day to get best results.
Medicines to Get Rid of Cold Fast
Here are some of the most effective medications and supplements that help to cure cold quickly:
- Analgesics, like acetaminophen and aspirin, helps to relieve the fever and headache.
- Antitussives or cough suppressants can be used to clear out the dry cough.
- Expectorants are highly beneficial for coughing up the mucus causing the congestion.
- A decongestant nasal spray can be used for relieving the nasal symptoms. However, it should not be used over extended periods of time as this may make your body dependent on them and the symptoms will worsen whenever you stop using the spray.
- You may use cold medicines with mild sedatives, like NyQuil as this can help you sleep better. The medicine works best when taken before bed time. However, it is advisable not to take the medicine if you can get enough sleep without it.
How to Get Rid Of a Cold Overnight
Despite the modern advancement in the world of medicine, there is no medical remedy that can cure the common cold without causing any side effects. Here are some tips and guidelines that you can follow to get rid of a cold in just one day without taking medicines.
Fortifying yourself throughout the first day of cold is necessary for curing it in a day. Take your meals at proper times, even if you do not feel hunger. The meals should comprise of warm foods like soups. Taking health supplements like vitamin C is also beneficial as it helps stimulate your immune system.
Drink lots of fluids as this keeps you hydrated and replenishes the fluid loss because of sweating. It is advisable to drink at least 10 glasses of water in a day. However, sugary drinks should be avoided as excessive amounts of glucose in the blood can strengthen the microorganisms causing the condition. Choose natural fruit juices rich in various vitamins and minerals, especially vitamin C.
Get Plenty of Sleep
Your body is best able to fight diseases and infections when you are asleep, so make sure to get as much sleep as possible in the course of the day. Relax and try to forget about anything that may vex you, disrupting your rest.
Sweat it Out
According to many, sweating out is one of the most effective ways that help you to get rid of a head cold. Apply some muscle-ache ointment to your chest, legs and arms before bed time. Cover yourself with as many blankets as allow you to fall asleep without getting too warm. Make sure to drink plenty some water whenever you get up so that the fluid levels in your body remains high throughout the night.
Take these measures to treat a cold within one day without having to tolerate weeks of headache, runny nose and weakness due to the condition. The above treatment options can also be used to get rid of a sinus cold as most of its symptoms are the same as the common cold. These remedies can be used for curing the symptoms of cold in kids as well. For treating the common cold in babies, you can use a bulb syringe for sucking out the mucus from the nose.